Tuesday, 25 September 2012

My spare time


I don't usually post works in progress, but this is a personal piece which I started off playing around with and (hopefully) will be too busy to complete for a while.

When I was a kid, I had a set of square boards with roads and buildings drawn on them, which I could rearrange and create my own town to drive my old Matchbox cars around. Simple stuff, but I loved it. That wasn't in my mind when I started this - I just started laying down rectangles with no real plan - but it seems to be shaping up into a similar concept, however ill-measured in retrospect. As I developed this, I imagined it as an animated gif, with the truck and car passing by. Maybe I'd do a night time version in orange hues. I don't know. Which, I guess, is why I'm okay with showing the work in progress, as there's no real reason for its existence.

I know I like it though. I wonder how ambitious a project it would be to go back to square one and create a digital version of those square boards, with animated components? Maybe I could make a series. Or would that just be the original Grand Theft Auto game?

Whatever, this is what I do in my spare time.


2 comments:

  1. Looking great! Those play mat's where also my inspiration for making this piece

    http://mikeharmanillustration.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/veal-zine-think-act-vote.html

    (bottom pic) It was a lot more time consuming than I though it would be though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! I like yours much more than mine!

    ReplyDelete