Saturday, 29 October 2011

Where the Dead Dwell

With the Halloween excitement around the corner (or here already, or something) it's about time I did something to cash in celebrate it! This happens to come about at the exact time that I need to produce some prints to take to Thought Bubble in HOLY BALLS LESS THAN 3 WEEKS NOW.


I watched the remake of The Amityville Horror for inspiration and it turned out not to be inspiring. In fact, my complaint about the original was that nothing much happened so when the 2005 version proved to me that something happening was a bad thing, I guess I realised I just don't like the story. Whatever.


Anyway, I have a theory about horror movies which I have often commented about to whoever will listen (usually when drunk) so why not impart this knowledge right here?


The theory goes like this: the scariest movies are the ones which use religion as a basis for the scares. There's something deeply unsettling about tying a well-known, in many cases accepted without question, story/characters into your fiction. Regardless of whether you are religious or not, we've all been around churches at some point, all heard a sermon, all seen people pray, all heard tales or derivations of tales from The Bible or the equivalent book in another religion (I'm in no way religious which accounts for my ignorance when it comes to the names of said books) and the fact that these things are a part of everyday modern life (and history) means that a horror story dealing with demonic possession or graveyards, ghosts etc do the job better than a 'slasher' or a monster of some kind.


In any case, they unsettle me. Like I said, I'm not religious but it's hard not to feel like there's a little extra fear deep-seated in my subconscious which only comes out when Hollywood whispers "Remember when the vicar mentioned the devil when you were at that Harvest Festival thing in the village chapel as a kid? Well, this is what he looks like..." AAARGH! Even then?!


Pfff.


So here's my exorcism-themed image. Girls are always on the ceiling in these things, right? Good. Then my work here is done.


You can buy it here, just so you know...

1 comment:

  1. this poster is spectacular. horror movies need to go back to such images.

    ReplyDelete