Tuesday, 11 October 2011

Once Upon a Time Machine

Title page by Farel Dalrymple
I may have mentioned this before, but probably cryptically and a long time ago, when dinosaurs ruled this blog, so now it feels like minty fresh news, yes? Good.


In 2009 and 2010 I was working on what was destined to become my swan song in comics (which may not turn out to be, but that's another story), a reinterpretation of the classic Three Little Pigs fairy tale set in the future. Showing some remarkably un-me-like stubborn determination, I plotted, scripted, illustrated and (partially) lettered eight pages, which now waits patiently alongside a few dozen other tales in a collection of future fairy tale comics known as Once Upon a Time Machine.


1001 by Nelson Evergreen
King Humpty by Ryan Ottley
The Crossing by Charles Fetherolf
 There are some great new and upcoming creators involved, alongside some big names and veterans; Cary Nord (Conan, Ultimate Human), Marcio Takara (The Incredibles, Incorruptible), Khoi Pham (Mighty Avengers, X-Men: Legacy), Farel Dalrymple (Omega the Unknown, Pop Gun War), Ryan Ottley (Invincible, Haunt)... the list goes on. The most ridiculous thing about it is that so far it hasn't found a publisher.


With the comic book industry's current climate making any book not about super heroes or a licensed property  a risk, maybe it's not so surprising that Once Upon a Time Machine isn't being snapped up, despite the names involved and the quality of the work created. Seriously, I've been privy to a lot of the development and it's no exaggeration to say that I'm as enthusiastic about this book's prospects as I was when Popgun: vol one was being put together (yeah, I was originally slated to be in that award-winning anthology until things went awry. Grr.) so there's obviously a missing piece here. Maybe the right person/publisher hasn't seen it at the right time? I dunno. In any case, the quality is there, the hook is there, the names are there and now... the exposure seems to be there. Bleeding Cool picked up on the project, happily putting a "look what you're missing!" spin on it, which only seems fair.


What I (and I'm sure everyone involved in this book) would love is for anybody who likes the look of Once Upon a Time Machine so far to make some noise about it, give it a profile boost so publishers know there's a market for it! Share, share, share!


Oh, go on then. I'll show you some of the art from my story, too...



Now then, get thee to the Facebook Page and tell everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment