Sunday, 7 August 2011

Spider-Man: Webhead 2.0 (Project: Rooftop contest)

In case you haven't heard of Project: Rooftop, it's a pretty popular site devoted to re-designing comic book superheroes. The concept is not to re-imagine the characters, but just improve on their current costume. They hold regular contests with prizes and last night I figured I'd have a go at the latest one; to re-design Spider-Man.


Spider-Man is... okay. There have been some great artists working on the books such as John Romita Jr, Sal Buscema, Todd McFarlane, Chris Bachalo and tons more. In fact, as I'm still a bit of a Joe Madureira fan I'm really looking forward to Avenging Spider-Man (wish Tim Townsend was inking, though). It's pretty much the definition of mainstream comics, along with Superman and Batman.


He's not unnoticeable though, eh?


If I was a super-athletic spidery person swinging around New York City and fighting crime, I wouldn't want to give the bad guys a heads-up by dressing in bright red and blue. He's like the anti-ninja. Wouldn't it be better to look at least a little camouflaged before busting up a bank robbery or stopping a mugging?


City camouflage? I'd base it on steel, asphalt and bricks. So I did. The orange is maybe a little strong, but at the end of the day I've got to make some concession to the fact that it's a superhero, not John Major. The mini web cape thing is my homage to Miguel O'Hara (Spider-Man 2099, who I have already covered in this blog... keep up). I'm actually really happy with this design, but I'm up against some very strong competition so I expect to lose badly. Ah, well. Maybe I'll adapt it into my own character one day...





1 comment: